24th Annual AALAM/Dow Fund Scholarship
The Asian-American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts (AALAM) in conjunction with the Harry H. Dow Memorial Legal Assistance Fund (Dow Fund) is pleased to announce that for the 24th annual AALAM/Dow Fund Scholarship a total amount of $5,000 will be awarded to one law student for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Founded in 1984, AALAM is a non-partisan, non-profit organization of over one hundred Asian-American lawyers, judges, and law professors. AALAM devotes its energy and resources to a variety of civic and professional activities at the local, state, and national levels. The Dow Fund was founded in 1985 in honor of Harry H. Dow, the first Asian American admitted to practice law in Massachusetts. The mission of the Dow Fund is to provide resources to ensure access to the legal system for Asian Americans who are deprived of justice due to barriers such as language, race, culture, poverty or immigration status.
The AALAM/Dow Fund Scholarship is awarded each academic year to an Asian-American law student who demonstrates leadership potential, maturity and responsibility, a commitment to making a contribution to the Asian-American community, an interest in pursuing public interest positions and other indicia of excellence, whether personal, professional or academic.
Priority consideration will be given to law students who have secured a public interest position for the summer, but it is not necessary to have a position lined up in advance of submitting an application. The recipient of the scholarship(s) will be selected from all of the scholarship applicants by the AALAM/Dow Fund Scholarship Committee and with the approval of the Board of AALAM.
The Scholarship recipient will be recognized at the Annual Dow Dinner taking place on Friday, December 3, 2021.If you have any questions, please email Steven Kim or Tony Lu, co-chairs of the 2021 AALAM/Dow Fund Scholarship Committee, whose members include (in addition to the co-chairs) Tiffany Ko, Dan Park, and Vatsady Sivongxay.
Application Process: There are four parts to the Application which are described below. You must submit your application online through the Google form linked here. We will not accept applications via email.
Application Period: April 15, 2021 - May 31, 2021
Application Due Date: May 31, 2021
Committee and Board Review: May 31, 2021 - June 15, 2021
Dow Dinner: December 3, 2021
Part I requires basic biographical information. (name, phone number, address, law school and graduation year).
Part II requires short answers (one paragraph each) to two questions.
1. What are your current (or intended) plans for the upcoming summer?
2. List and briefly describe your activities or commitments that are not included on your current resume.
Part III requires uploading your resume, transcript and essay response (please see below for additional instructions on uploading files).
For the essay, please respond in 500 words or less to the following prompt:
As a future Asian Pacific American lawyer, how do you think you can best contribute to the Asian Pacific American community?
Part IV is a certification and acknowledgement.
You will receive a copy of your responses via email and will have an opportunity to edit the application anytime before the application deadline.
** Finalists may be interviewed by one or more members of the AALAM/Dow Fund Scholarship Committee (if determined to be necessary).
Additional Instructions for Uploading Files:
- Please upload only PDF files and name the files using the following format: LastName, First Initial, hyphen, and Document Type. For example, for Steven Kim, the files should be named KimS-Transcript.pdf, KimS-Resume.pdf, and KimS-Essay.pdf.
- Please keep the resume to one page. We cannot guarantee we will review any pages beyond the first.
- Please include your full law school transcript to date. This means for 2Ls should include the 2L fall semester grades as well as the 1L grades. We will not review incomplete transcripts.
Other Terms and Conditions
- Officers and directors of AALAM or the Dow Fund, and members of the AALAM/Dow Fund Scholarship Committee, and their immediate family members, are ineligible for the Scholarship.
- All application materials submitted will become the property of AALAM.
- The recipient of the scholarship will be selected by the AALAM/Dow Fund Scholarship Committee with the approval of the Board of AALAM.
- The AALAM/Dow Fund Scholarship Committee shall have sole discretion and final say on the interpretation of any of the rules, terms and conditions.